Spring River (Mammoth Spring, Arkansas) — March 21, 2004

It was hard to sleep Saturday night, because I had to listen to McClane complain about my snoring. He cried so much about it, that he actually slept on the floor in the motel bathroom. I don’t know what he was complaining about so much, I slept great. I did tell him that I would look into some sort of snoring medicine before our Current River trip in the middle of April. Sunday morning we woke up to temps in the low 30’s (Saturday it reached a high of 83), clear skies, and windy conditions. We stowed our non-essential gear into the mini-van and headed off for breakfast at the Gooseneck Island Cafe, hoping to get the biscuits and gravy that McClane and I were really looking forward to. We got there about 7:00am and were told that they just opened and it would be another 30 minutes or more for food — so in the car we went in search of State Line Restaurant. State line Restaurant is, as it name suggests, on the Missouri / Arkansas state line. It doesn’t look like much from the outside, but the inside was nice and the food was quick and good (Kotcher even suggested that we look into this place for a steak dinner on our next trip — as the steak that came with his eggs was excellent). We had decided to check out the access near the tourist center, but the water was too high and probably too swift to fish allot of the area, so we headed back to the Lassetter Access. Conditions were tough with the wind, but today was my day. I headed downstream and fished the far bank. That is where I caught my first Cutthroat Trout. It was a small beautiful fish of about 7″ that took a #10 olive mohair leech. I picked up 10 fish in one run, and ended the morning with 17 fish (13 Cutthroat and 4 Rainbows) in less than 4 hours of fishing — with an Olive Mohair Leech picking up most of the fish (I also had luck with a brown wooly bugger, black wooly bugger, and black mohair leech). Both McClane and Kotcher picked up fish — but I don’t think either of them caught more than 7 or 8 fish (all the fish were caught on streamers of some type). The wind made fishing tough this morning, but it was an absolutely beautiful morning. We left the river by about 11:30am and headed back to St. Louis. It was another good trip to the Spring River, although it will be some time before I get to head back down that way I can’t wait. It doesn’t look like I will get to be on the water again until the big camp out on the Current River April 16 – 18 at Eagles Park Campground (we will have about 30 fly fisherman camping and fishing the river that weekend).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *