Description of Water
Crane Creek may be Missouri’s most famous wild trout stream. This stream offers the chance to catch a geneticly pure strain of the McCloud River Rainbow. The stream was stocked from railway cars in the late 19th century and no further stockings have been recorded or instituted. These are wild and wary fish. This is a tiny stream that requires ninja like stealth more than it requires casting ability and form. The fish are wary, but the dedicated angler can find fish in this stream if he puts in the time.
Popular Access Points
- Wire Road CA Walk-In Access (Google Earth Download) (Garmin Waypoint Download)
- Crane City Park Walk-In Access (Google Earth Download) (Garmin Waypoint Download)
Maps of Stream
USGS Stream Flow Data
- There are no USGS Stream Gauges on this stream at this time.
Recommended Fly Patterns
- Mohair Leech (Size: 10)(Color: Olive)
- Crackleback (Size: 16)(Color: Sulphur or PMD)
- Elk Hair Caddis (Size: 18)(Color: Natural)
- Tungsten BH WoolyBugger (Size: 8)(Color: Black, Olive, or Brown)
- Tungsten Flashback BH Hare’s Ear Nymph (Size: 16)(Color: Natural)